Now is the perfect time to sponsor a special project, volunteer, or become a member at Dana Adobe!
There are so many things to do on the Rancho, the possibilities are endless…
There are so many reasons to become member here at Dana Adobe! This is a handy chart we created to help you learn all about the benefits of membership:
SPONSOR A SPECIAL PROJECT
This spring, DANA in collaboration with the Wine History Project of San Luis Obispo County
embarked on a new project called The Dana Mission Heritage Vineyard. The vineyard is composed of twenty-two grape vines directly descended from California’s mother vine at Mission San Gabriel. The grape, identified as Listán Prieto, was distributed throughout Alta California by the Franciscan padres, including at both Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa and San Miguel Arcangel. The new vineyard in Nipomo is thought to be the largest non-commercial mission grape vineyard in California. Life at the Dana Adobe during the “Rancho Period” in the 1800’s was focused on raising cattle and farming agriculture including the raising of Mission grapes to enjoy as a dessert and to make the wine served with every meal.
The vineyard will provide a beautiful space for celebrations, relaxation and other events. It will also tell the story of early viticultural practices in San Luis Obispo County as we continue to farm the vines.
Complementing the historic architecture of the Dana Adobe, built in 1840, a rectangular wall has been constructed near the olive grove to enclose the new Heritage Mission Grape Vineyard and protect the historic grapes from local wildlife. The design incorporates unique native stone donated to the Dana Adobe for this project. Please contact Lexi at the Dana Adobe in Nipomo to make your donations of time, cash or equipment. (email@example.com) We welcome volunteers to help us maintain the vineyard and harvest grapes in the future.
You can leave your legacy at the vineyard by sponsoring a vine or a bench dedication or gate dedications. This is the perfect way to honor someone special in your life or leave your own legacy on the Rancho.
We had a packed (and we mean completely booked) Fall Field Trip schedule, and we’re starting to fill up for Spring!
There are so many ways you can help at Dana Adobe:
- Help teach lessons about the California Rancho way of life and Chumash living
- Nature education including exploring the meadow, our 200 + Sycamore Tree and much more.
- Summer Camp! Here’s a blog we wrote just for that!
- Volunteer around the gardens – saving the monarchs as they migrate through the central coast and taking care of the pollinator garden
- Take care of the kitchen garden & the salsa garden
- Dana Volunteer Force – work on the grounds; weeding, helping build owl boxes,
- Helping with events like heritage day (link)
- Collections – research our collection and help with expansion
- Cultural Center Volunteers – helping to research and educate on art, history and different cultural aspects
- Internal – office, data entry, watching the gallery, and other small jobs
Ready to get started? So are we! Contact us today to get involved!